The Comfort Fund
The Comfort Fund was founded in 1991 by a group of people from Bristol Royal Hospital For Children following a bequest from a grandfather, stipulating that the money should be used to benefit people with Cystic Fibrosis to bring some comfort and fun into their lives.
The Comfort Fund continues to support this ethos, providing practical support and comfort for those affected by CF.
Treating Cystic Fibrosis
Modern treatment and care of children and adults with Cystic Fibrosis has improved enormously giving an increased life expectancy. However, to achieve this, many patients have a significant treatment regime on a daily basis with multiple medications, nebulisers, dietary needs and physiotherapy.
Treatment can be time consuming, exhausting and present a financial strain with loss of income or increasing financial commitments. Most patients and families try to live as normal a life as possible but this can be difficult for those with complex disease, advanced CF or awaiting transplantation.
The Comfort Fund works closely with patients, their families and professionals to financially support better care and ease the burden to patients and families.
How we help
Since the Region CF centre in the Bristol hospitals has been established, we now receive requests from CF patients who are under their care. This is usually within a radius of approximately 50 miles around the Bristol area. As a small local charity we are very dependent on the support offered through regular small donations to enable us to continue this work.
Examples of funding from the Comfort Fund:
- Initial funding of community specialist support staff (prior to permanent establishment by the hospital Trust) e.g Nurses, a Physiotherapist and a Specialist Social Worker to support patients both in the hospital and at home
- Equipment for the new CF Adult unit at the Bristol Royal Infirmary
- Start up grants for young adults and families setting up home for the first time
- Hardship grants
- Help with driving lessons
- Exercise equipment to help supplement physiotherapy
- Portable Oxygen Cylinders
- Provision of the new e-Flow Portable Nebulisers, to considerably reduce the time it takes to nebulise treatment
- Support for healthcare professionals to receive specialist training or attend Cystic Fibrosis conferences